Monday, August 27, 2007

Green Streets


In my neighborhood, where Bradhurst becomes Edgecombe, there is what the Park’s Department calls a Green Street. This little oasis of foliage brightens the street and quite frankly, brightens my day every time I walk by.

However, people are all too often reckless with their trash and movement through our little island of green. The Parks Department does take care of it from time to time, but it’s fair to say that they have their hands full, which brings me to my dear neighbor Arthur.

Arthur is a superintendent at the building on 141st and Edgecombe, which faces the large Green Street that I mentioned. I often see him trimming, planting and pulling trash out of the plot. He even created wooden teepees over areas that are trying to grow; to prevent foot traffic from cutting across.

He does this because he loves it. Plain and simple.

Like many of us, I love our neighborhood, I love our park, but some times I forget that we have to take it upon ourselves to enact change. Some times a small thing can make a big difference.

I mentioned that I would speak to our Friends group about donating some plants and flowers-he really wants to add some color. If any of you have some suggestions, let me know.

1 comment:

William_Guffman said...

Great article. The green street is very nice. Their tree is decorated during the holidays.